Saturday, April 26, 2008

Top 10 Spooky Things to a Horse

As horse folks, we work with our horses to help them deal with things that surprise them - the term we use is "spook." A well trained horse will spook in place when he/she is surprised. In other words, he/she won't run out from under us when a bird flies up from a sage brush and leave us sitting on our sore butts.

To help you understand what a horse sees as spooky, here are the Top 10 Spooky Things to a Horse.

10. Blowing Paper: "At any moment it could whip up into our faces, covering our noses. We could suffocate. And don't try to tell us you'd do CPR."

9. Barking Dogs: "What? You've never read Steven King's 'CUJO'?"

8. Puddles of Water: "Quicksand 10 feet deep - no question about it."

7. Trash Cans: "They've been known to swallow horses and transport them into another dimension - never to return."

6. Babies and Little Kids: "Long lost tribe of horse-eating, ankle-biting pygmies."

5. Plaid Horse Blankets:"Hey, when was the last time you wore plaid? It adds 100 lbs."

4. Ropes and Hoses on the Ground: "Dreaded North American Trail Snakes just waiting to swallow us whole."

3. Ponies: "Cute, cleaver, hardy, but devious and deceptive. They really want to take over the world."

2. Windy Days: "Two words: Impending tornado. Besides, it messes up our manes."

1. Carts and Wagons: "Look. You put a human on our backs, we can always buck them off. But tying a horse to a wheeled object that keeps chasing him all over the place? It's just not natural."

6 comments:

The Wades said...

You're brillant! Now we finally understand! Thanks for clearing that up for us.

Anonymous said...

Too funny...ankle bitting pygmies...I have a few of those and can completely sympathize with the horses!

TjandMark/AKA PearlandHawkeye said...

It's beginning to make sense now...still not sure what they think about a rider putting on a slicker in the wind, but I can testify that THAT gets their attention as well! I'm adding your blog to my favorites so I can learn more. mark

TjandMark/AKA PearlandHawkeye said...

I love it. Ponies do want to take over the world. But so do mules. LOL.
My mustang was the spookiest ever and now he is pretty good at jumping in place, but if I am leading him, he hides behind me and only sneaks a glance over my shoulder at the offending object. I can only imagine what he is thinking. Things like, "Eat her" or "If I can't see it, it can't see me". He is so silly. As am I. tj

The Wades said...

oooh, now i'm nervous. you got comments from three of my faithful commentors! what if they leave me for your clever ways???!!! ahh. :) love ya

Anonymous said...

Love it and yet another GG faithful. I am going to have to start checking you out also. You totally know horses.