Wednesday, April 30, 2008

14 Carrot Gold

What is this face looking for?

Betty and I rode Gletta and Morgunn in our paddock this morning to do some basic work with them. The only time we give them a treat is when they work. We tried apples which they hated - wouldn't even touch them. We didn't want to give them processed treats as we didn't know what was in them. We found the answer - something they absolutely love - CARROTS! They love carrots.

Morgunn gets his carrot in a tub. If I feed him a carrot by hand that encourages him to be 'mouthy.' He has always been mouthy since I got him, but I have trained him to be less so. I occasionally have to remind him to wait on his carrot and not get pushy. I'll back him up and, when he settles down, I'll give him his carrot.






Once he's reminded of his manners, Morgunn does a good job of enjoying his carrot.

Gletta on the other hand...



Gletta gets her carrot by hand. She is not mouthy at all so Betty can easily feed her carrot by hand. Since Gletta is a little on the shy side - OK, she's a lot on the shy side - Betty works on getting Gletta to come to her. She'll offer the carrot and ask Gletta to walk to her. When she first started she had to be only about 3 feet away and Gletta would stretch her neck as far as possible rather than take a step toward Betty. Now Betty can be 10 or more feet away and Gletta will come up to her to get her carrot. She still stretches her neck a little, but nothing like before.

They love their carrots.

1 comment:

The Wades said...

Please tell me you didn't peel that carrot!! Only when they work?? I wish I could see your kids when they were little. I bet you had the most polite children on the planet!