Saturday, June 28, 2008

Happy Birthday Morgunn!


On June 28, 1999, an Icelandic colt was born in Corrales, New Mexico and he was given the name "Morgunn" which is Icelandic for "Morning." His owner was a woman named Mary Ross.

This is a picture of the brand new Morgunn shortly after he was born. The person in the picture is our good friend Eleanor Bravo who rode with us in the Bosque yesterday.

In 1999, Betty and I were still living in Loveland, Ohio and I was still working for Procter & Gamble. We were just beginning to think about retiring in a year or so. Little did we know that an event across the nation in New Mexico was happening that would eventually have such an impact on my life.

When we moved to New Mexico in 2004, we were serious about getting our own horses, but we decided to wait a year to be sure we knew what we were getting into. Through a trainer friend, we actually met Morgunn and rode him a couple of times, but he wasn't for sale.

On June 30, 2005, our trainer friend called and said he had just talked to Morgunn's owner, Mary, and she tearfully said that she needed to thin her herd down from 4 horses to 2. She didn't have the time to give them the work and attention they all needed. So, she wanted to sell Morgunn and his younger brother, Digger. Morgunn had just turned six years old.

We called Mary and immediately went over to see her. The next day, July 1, 2005 (which was our 38th wedding anniversary) Morgunn joined our family and my life has never been the same. Here's a picture of Morgunn on the day we bought him.

So, Morgunn, on your 9th birthday here are some of my favorite pictures among many that we have taken over the last 3 years.

Morgunn's personality is very, very friendly and he loves to check out whatever is going on.


Morgunn's favorite past time is eating and he's always in his stall waiting impatiently.


He often tells Betty, "What took you so long to bring my food?"


As we've shared before, he loves to supervise whenever we're clipping Gletta - "I think you missed a spot. Yep, I'm pretty sure you did. Hey, are you listening to me?"


I'm glad we don't get much snow, but I think Morgunn would love more. I guess it's his Icelandic genes.


Other than eating, he loves to be out riding with his best friend, Gletta.


So, Morgunn, on your 9th birthday we all wish you a Happy Birthday! Maybe I'll peel a carrot as a special treat for you today.


Today is June 28 and if today is your Birthday then you share your day with: Morgunn (wonder horse and all around great companion), John Cusack (actor), John Elway (Denver Broncos Super Bowl Champion quarterback), Gilda Radner (comedian - "Saturday Night Live"), Pat Morita (actor - "Karate Kid"), Mel Brooks (comedian/director - "Blazing Saddles," "Space Balls," "Young Frankenstein"), Richard Rodgers (composer), and John Wesley (English clergyman and founder of Methodism).

4 comments:

TjandMark/AKA PearlandHawkeye said...

Happy Birthday Morgunn! I wish I knew my horses birthdays. What fun.

The Wades said...

Oh Morgunn, it doesn't have to be your birthday to get a peeled carrot! Silly Dan. You get that treat on days that end with "y." ;)

I loved this post. I love how you said, "Little did we know that an event across the nation in New Mexico was happening that would eventually have such an impact on my life." Great line and oh so true! Life is funny that way. I guess God had Morgunn all planned out for you.

Cute picture of him in the snow.

Happy Birthday, Morgunn.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Happy Birthday Morgunn!!
I'm glad that your special personality is bringing joy to your loving owners.

Funny how events happen in life that change our lives without us even planning for them...and often in such positive ways, too.

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness! I can hardly believe Morgunn is 9. I always think of him as the youngster of the group! I can't believe you unearthed that picture of me with him as a baby. And we really treated him like a baby. He would stand in line to be groomed, untethered of course and was always disappointed when he was left behind by Mother Nos.

It was such a pleasure to ride with you for Betty's "first" ride back in the Bosque. It was a beautiful morning. Looking forward to many more.

Love,
Eleanor