Friday, June 20, 2008

Visiting the Old West

Even though I would probably never be a member, I enjoy going to the End of Trail competition for the Single Action Shooting Society (SASS). It's held every June at Founders Ranch which is South of I-40 out towards Edgewood.

It's a beautiful setting with plenty of safe areas for the shooting competitions, an Old West town with plenty of merchants with a lot of items you won't find anywhere else, and a very nice arena for the mounted shooting competitions.

Betty and I went out this morning and got there about 9:30 AM and it was a pleasant morning with a nice cool breeze. We visited all of the merchants, but didn't buy anything. I was hoping to find a pair of leather chaps for riding, but I guess I will keep on looking. My skinny frame makes it hard to find what I want in a size that will fit me.

Toward the latter part of the morning we went over to the arena and watched the mounted shooting. They have to navigate a course not to dissimilar to barrel racers. Along the course are balloons that they shoot with blank charges. If there aim is good the balloon will break from the force of the exploding charge. Their score is a combination of time and accuracy. There was one 14-year old girl who was deadly accurate and blazed around the course with a reckless abandon that you only find in the young.

Here are some pictures from our adventure this morning.

Some SASS participants outside one of the merchant tents.

One of the shooting competition sites.

A Wells Fargo stage going over the hill.

The mounted shooters getting last minute instructions.

You don't want to mess with this lady.

Taking aim and getting ready to shoot.

Other contestants waiting for their turn.

We really had a good time and enjoyed being with people who really enjoy doing what they do. It appeals to the frustrated cowboy in me.

Today is June 20 and if today is your Birthday then you share your day with: Nicole Kidman (actress - former wife of Tom Cruise - and she's probably glad about that), John Goodman (comedian/actor), Lionel Richie (singer/composer), Anne Murray (singer/composer - "Snowbird"), Brian Wilson (singer - founder of "The Beach Boys"), Martin Landeau (actor - "Mission Impossible" TV series), Chet Atkins (guitarist), Audie Murphy (actor - "To Hell and Back" - most decorated soldier in World War II, including Congressional Medal of Honor), Errol Flynn (actor - "Robin Hood"), Michael Landon (actor - "Bonanza" and strong Christian), Cyndi Lauper (singer - "Girls Just Want to Have Fun"), and Bob Vila (carpenter - "This Old House").

3 comments:

The Wades said...

Stop bragging about being skinny. It hurts my feelings.

JK. :) I'm happy for you that you're not glutonous like myself.

Another post I missed commenting on. ?? And to think, I usually have so much to say...

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Great photos. Did you know that to get there, you drove right past our house. We live off NM 217 and we can often hear when SASS is doing shooting practices or demos.

We missed the Trails End event this year because we had too many other things to do.
But its sure is great to know that it was a fun time. Did you see that trained bison...what's his name?

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Oh yeh! Harvey Wallbanger?
My kids wanted to see him so much. Me, too!