Saturday, May 10, 2008

They Call the Wind...

You know what's hard? Trying to take a picture of the wind. You can take a picture of a swaying Cottonwood tree and an Apache Plume bush, but when it comes out they look as if they're staying still -- no wind.



Then I realized I needed to take a picture of something that would clearly show that it's windy so I came up with this:



This wind sock, attached to our horse trailer, clearly shows the wind blowing - but it doesn't show the wind itself - just the effects of the wind. You really can't take a picture of the wind - just the effect it has on our world.

Why this obsession about the wind? For those of you who live in New Mexico you know that the wind is a part of our lives. It blows at Birthday parties. It blows dust into everything. It chaps our skin. It blows our hats away. It messes up our hairdos.

One time a couple of years ago the wind was so strong it blew our horse trailer backwards about 30 feet.

Yet, I don't dislike the wind - I actually like it in the same way I like thunder and lightning storms. I like things that remind that I'm alive and life is not all neat and perfect.

I love to see a dust devil create a column of dust hundreds of feet high. When a dust devil passes close by there's a rushing sound that is unique - kind of like a small tornado.

Most of all I like to see the wind in Morgunn's mane:



So, call the wind Mariah, or any of the many dirty names we can think of, it is a part of our lives - a part that is special to me.

1 comment:

The Wades said...

We had the windiest birthday party known to man on Saturday!! UGH! I like how you finally showed the wind in action.

I'm glad someone likes it! :)